Uses for Yoga Blocks for Yoga Exercises
Yoga blocks are very useful props for anyone to use while performing some of the Yoga poses. They are especially handy for Yoga beginners who are still a bit unsteady and may not be as flexible as others, particularly in the standing positions that involve twisting the body and maintaining balance.
The purpose of the Yoga block is to provide more comfort while practicing and help to improve the alignment of the body. While often used by novices, they are also used by more experienced practitioners because the more you learn and become familiar with Yoga, the more meditation techniques and poses are available to you. For some of the more advanced positions, a Yoga block can act as an arm extension. For people at any level in Yoga, the Yoga block provides stability and support for the body while moving into the more difficult poses. They can help the body stretch and strengthen without undo strain.
Depending on the pose, Yoga blocks can be placed under hands, feet, or bottom to get the most out of stretches and to get into the correct position while keeping the body safe. For those just getting started in Yoga, blocks can really help by giving them a way to adjust the pose to accommodate their flexibility level. They are best for use with the standing poses like Ardha and Chandrasana where one hand is on the ground.
Benefits of the Yoga Block
Before going into some of the ways to use the block, let’s take a look again at their benefits:
· They reduce the distance between the ground and the body.
· They modify some poses for those who aren’t are flexible as others.
· They help the person be able to hold the pose longer and more comfortably.
· They take away the chances of pulling a muscle and causing strain.
· They can decrease the amount of energy required to get into a position, which is particularly helpful for pregnant women.
How to Use a Yoga Block
The block can be a great help when meditating especially if you have hips that aren’t very flexible and you have trouble with the Lotus position. Sitting on the block can let your hips open up more comfortably rather than letting your knees point upwards. This can help to lengthen the spine.
If your thighs are particularly tight, even the simple Hero pose can be a strain. Kneel on your Yoga matt with legs hip-width apart. Put the block on the matt between your ankles then sit on the block with heels on either side of your hips. Once you are settled into position, place your hands on your calves and pull them from beneath your thighs so you can get closer to the ground.
Some other ways to use a Yoga block are:
1. Sit on the block for the seated poses, particularly the twists. The pose will not only be more comfortable, but more effective as well. The block supports your lower back and sacrum and gets the pelvis up off of the ground.
2. For standing positions like the Half Moon and Triangle poses, use the block as a lift for your hands in order to extend the position more fully. You can use the block on the widest or narrowest point, depending how much extension you need.
3. Put a Yoga block under your head when doing abdominal exercises of any kind or for meditating. This is a great way to support the neck.
These are just some of the ways a block can assist you with Yoga poses. These blocks come in different sizes but the most common size is 4” x 6” x 9”. People who use Yoga blocks use them at each of their three heights. They are lightweight, comfortable, and easy to take along with you. Normally, they are made from foam, cork, bamboo, or wood. You can find inexpensive and wholesale yoga blocks on this page.